Monday, May 5, 2008

More Book Reviews!

I recently read two great books that I feel I must recommend!
The first was Uncharted, by Angela Hunt. I have read a few of this author's book before and just not got on with them, but this was recommended by someone so I gave it a go. Like Angela's other books, it took a few chapters to really grab me (this is usually where I get impatient with books and put them down...) but I persevered and I am really glad that I did... This story creeps up on you and before you know it you are picking it up at any and every spare moment. I was actually up at midnight reading this one (and being almost nine moths pregnant you know that it takes a good book to keep me up that late!) The characters in the book are certainly a mixed bunch, but when you finally find out just exactly the predicament they have got themselves in you really begin to feel for them. As for the theological debate you could get into about this book, I am not really inclined to go there - all I know is that Angela has written a great book that can really get you thinking... Go ahead - read it!
The second book is Club Sandwich by one of my favorite authors Lisa Samson. This is another great offering from Lisa, but in this case it took me a while to really warm up to the main character. She is at first a really annoying character and I did not like her, but then life started to become even more difficult and it was great to see how she went from being a complainer to someone who knew how to rely on God. Thinking back on reading this book I am wondering why I felt so strongly against the woman at the start of the book - am I just a little too much like her???Hmm... So this story, about a woman stuck between caring for an aging mother and a growing family (complete with absent selfish husband) was really a good read and dealt with an issue that many women are facing right now. As with every Lisa Samson book I couldn't put it down and really was rooting for the lead character and her family by the end!
Now I really must head back to the library as there is nothing left to read!

No comments: