Today's Heart of the Matter Meme is about 'Happy Habits' and I thought I'd list some of the things that we find help our homeschool remain a happy one...One of the first things that comes to my mind is the habit of Mom getting up earlier than the kids to spend some time alone with God. This is getting more and more difficult now that I am in my 8th month of pregnancy and not sleeping all that great, but when I make that extra effort to do it it makes the day go so much better. Ideally I like to be up around 6:30 with a cup of tea, my bible and my journal (on the deck now that the sun is getting up with me!), then I like to take a shower and put on a load of laundry all before the first of my little sleepy heads arise. I really love this time and it makes for a much less stressed out Mommy if I get to it! (Note to self ~ DO IT!)
Another habit we have is the habit of making sure chores are completed before we start school. We have a list of daily chores for everyone to work on (not very many, but the basics) and once this is done we start school. I feel that this is a very important life skill that I want my children to take with them into adulthood.
A pretty recent habit we have begun is my oldest daughter having her own file with a checklist of schoolwork that is to be done independently. She is in 2nd grade right now and the list includes devotional reading, math, handwriting, chapter book reading, math drills and typing practice among other thing. I require this to be what she works on first in the day and it must all be finished before her free time. She enjoys being able to decide what to do first and it is teaching her how to be responsible. I anticipate adding more things to this each year.
A habit that I tried and failed in was the habit of sticking to a schedule. I mean a school starts at 9am, we do spelling at 11:15 and math at 12:05 kind of a schedule. This just doesn't work for us no matter how hard I tried to make it! What does work for us is having a flow to our days: Bath, Breakfast, chores, Independent work, snack time, Science, History etc. So now whatever time of day we actually start school we all know what is coming next.
One of the most important habits our family has is the habit of reading, both reading aloud and independently. I require a B.O.B (Books on Bed) time each day and we always have plenty of time to enjoy books as a family. Snuggling on the couch with a good book is precious time together.
The final habit I am listing today is about getting the kids in the kitchen with me. I found it was always a struggle when both of my girls were helping me, so I would avoid it and then feel bad because I wasn't teaching them to cook. Now each day has an assigned kitchen helper and this child gets to cook with me one-on-one. Sometimes they don't have to do much more than set the table or help with a salad, but sometimes they get to learn a new recipe with me. We still have special times where we bake together, but at least this way they are involved on a more regular basis.
For more great ideas (I have already listed a few that I know will help our homeschool!) go to Heart of the Matter.
3 comments:
Those are great habits! I like the Books on Bed time and also the idea of having a flow to your days rather than a strict schedule.
Thanks for sharing!
I love the idea of book time independently... I need to do this as the kiddos outgrow their naps. (My 5 and 6 year old still take regular naps!)
Getting a couple of Mom-hours in before school starts is essential to me, as well. I forgot to mention that one!
SmallWorld
Post a Comment